Mr. Steam recently shared 15 tips in response to a question asked on Houzz about what the best tips when it comes to installing and choosing a steam shower were. We thought we’d share them with you here as they are hugely relevant to our blog and you as a potential Steam Shower customer!
Mr. Steam’s 15 tips to help you plan for a home steam shower:
1) When installing a steam shower, ensure that the shower will be enclosed and insulated, constructed of tile, marble or non-porous materials, and equipped with a water-tight shower door and floor drain.
2) The ideal steam shower has a maximum ceiling height of eight feet. If you plan a taller space, you may need a higher-rated steam generator.
3) Seating should be slightly sloped and built-in for bather comfort.
4) Look for fold-up seats to maximize shower space. If space isn’t an issue, look for a bench.
5) Add anti-skid strips on the steam room floor to prevent slipping.
6) Use only vapor sealed lighting fixtures approved for the application.
8) Consider where you will install the steam shower generator. Mr. Steam generators may be installed in a closet, vanity, or heated attic or basement, up to 60 feet away from the steam room.
9) The steam head should be located approximately 6-12 inches above the floor on a wall opposite the seating area, away from the entrance/exit area. Look for steamheads that remain cool to the touch.
10) The optimal location of the in-shower control is inside the steam room 4-5 feet above the floor convenient to the bather and away from direct steam flow.
11) Plumbing connections include a water line to the generator, a steam line from the generator to the steam room and a drain line.
12) Household electric power is required to operate the generator. Specify 208v. or 240v. All in-shower controls operate on low voltage.
13) Look for steam generators that are UL listed.
14) No heating, venting or air conditioning devices should be installed inside the steam room.
15) If your shower or steam room has windows, they will need to be double-paned.
You dream it, we’ll find it